Sunday, October 6, 2013

Becoming a New Media Artist

Seeing the various examples of new-media artists, I started to really understand how DMA relates to our every day lives. 

Prior to exploring the examples of new-media artists, I didn’t really grasp the idea of new-media.  I only thought of it as a concept – not as an art. Now I realize that new-media is about sharing ideas and thoughts in a variety of ways; not just paintings and photographs.  Now a days, artists can use a variety of mediums to convey their thoughts.  Videos, blogs, and other forms of social media can be used to communicate thoughts and feelings.

I enjoyed learning about the Gertrude Stein Repertory Theater Company and how they use new-media in live productions.  Instead of actors, the company builds virtual puppets that move around the stage.  They incorporate moving set piece into the production to give a different vibe to the story.  Using automated new-media, the Gertrude Stein Repertory Theater plays to a promising audience that yearns for exciting productions. 

In terms of being a new-media artist, I would definitely use a creative process and choose to use a representing context in a collage-format using Pixlr.  After all, stage managing is all about representing the artistic integrity of the production as a whole and fulfilling the visions of the artist staff.  The principal would be “Ubiquity”, of course, because I am everywhere all the time.  I have to be focused on many small details and multi-tasking is very important. 

I look forward to the next unit and seeing how the class progresses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment